Student Center & Event Services provides the campus community and its guests with a variety of services and venues for social, recreational, cultural, and educational pursuits and is the primary resource for individuals/groups interested in holding a meeting, seminar, summer conference program or other event at UC Irvine.
VIP Event Services*: 949.351.7736
*On the day of your event, our staff are on call to assist with your needs. Service limitations and additional fees may apply. (Available 7 days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 11:59 p.m. except University holidays)
Message from the Director
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
Welcome to the online home of UCI’s Student Center. Our staff invite you to explore the host of services and facilities designed to meet the demands of our diverse campus community.
The Visitor Center should be the first stop for prospective students and their parents, alumni and all visitors who want to know more about the University of California, Irvine. Conveniently located just inside the entrance to the Student Center, the Visitor Center is the starting point for guests seeking information on campus activities, conferences and campus tours.
We hope that whether you are just looking for a place to read while grabbing something to eat or going beyond the basics and planning an exciting and memorable event, you will find the Student Center a welcoming and inclusive gathering place for all Anteaters to interact, learn and enjoy.
We encourage you to explore and experience the Student Center first-hand. We offer convenient dining options, shopping, other retail services and entertainment so you don’t have to choose between work and play—you can do both. There truly is something for everyone including a staff of inspired event professionals, some of the most unique and flexible meeting spaces in Orange County and newly upgraded, state-of-art audiovisual technology.
Visit our website regularly for a calendar of events taking place at the Center and for news and highlights including special savings on event services. We look forward to seeing you at the Center for an unforgettable experience and encourage you to connect with us in person or online to let us know what you think.
Stacey L. Murren
Director – Student Center & Event Services
University of California, Irvine
To inspire all of our campus guests through the promise that comes from serving others.
Foster the academic, social and cultural mission of the university with student involvement and development opportunities via employment and mentoring outside the classroom in a world-class facility offering year-round conference and event production services.
- Excellence – To go beyond what is necessary and to excel in all of our services.
- Fun – To create an enjoyable environment through the balance of work and life.
- Innovation – To be a model for best practices through creative solutions.
- Integrity – A commitment to be honest and sincere from the relationships we form to the services we provide.
- Respect – We will be open and understanding of others in all our actions and deeds. Treat others as we expect to be treated.
- Teamwork – Coordinated effort of the group, acting in the best interest of the common cause, selflessly looking to the good of the whole instead of the individual.
Interact. Learn. Enjoy.
Quality Service Standards
- Safety – Provide all campus guests a secure venue and genuine sense of well-being.
- Hospitality – Serve every guest with a friendly and accommodating disposition.
- Education – Facilitate social, cultural, professional and academic growth.
- Efficiency – Ensure processes are effective in maximizing SCES resources and operations.
Service & Facility Enhancements
- Audiovisual upgrade for enhanced event production services
- Student Center Terrace Stage lights and sound construction
- Installation of commercial-grade awnings for protection and shading on terrace, Pacific Ballroom patio and The Hill’s entrance
- Launched The UPS Store®
- Retained the ACCED-I One-Stop Shop Certification for two additional years—one of only 36 institutions in North America to have the certification
- Developed an all-new, professional videography service for marketing and for event production services
- Streamlined booking requests for staff and clients for the 2013 Anteater Involvement Fair and Welcome Week by launching online request process
- Installed cell phone booster antennae and radio repeaters for improved access throughout the building
- Aesthetically enhancing landscape renovations completed for Cross Cultural Center and Student Center entrance
- Remodeled entry-level restrooms for safety and aesthetic purposes
- In the process of migrating event planning process to Kinetic (Kx) College Event Planning Software for streamlining booking process and improved customer service
- Reduced operating costs by approximately 550 labor hours in nine months with possibilities of reducing additional redundant labor hours moving forward
- Maximized and streamlined setup and breakdown of event lecterns through the innovative refurbishing of existing lecterns with removable magnetic decals
- Maximized storage space with improved inventory control for new equipment while recycling and reducing custodial chemicals by 80%
- Phase I of RFID inventory tracking technology complete—technology would allow for total asset visibility, inventory history and real-time stock levels
- Business center, located in the Visitor Center, completed, providing event attendees access to computer and other office services
- Collaborated with University Advancement on enhancing SPOP parent receptions to educate parents on the resources available to students on campus, including products and services at The Hill
- Partnered with Student Life & Leadership to re-design the Registered Campus Organization registration process so that it occurs earlier, better preparing authorized signers for their responsibilities
- Streamlined communications with Facilities Management to reduce service errors for special events
- Established monthly discussions with Risk Management, Student Life & Leadership, UCI Police Department and Environmental Health & Safety to address ongoing event-related concerns and to establish best practices with regard to all campus partners
- Collaborated with UCI Hospitality & Dining on revisions to the campus alcohol policy
- Collaborated with Student Life & Leadership to finalize and publish Ring Mall and Student Center event guidelines and procedures, which includes consequences of non-compliance
- Marketing plan outlined for Student Center & Event Services
- Initiated rebranding, website redesign and sales pipeline development projects aligned to Baldrige Performance Excellence Program criteria
- Drafted an employee and customer-centric Quality Service Guide based on industry’s best practices and lean-sigma-type quality improvement methodologies for new-hire orientation and onboarding process
- Planned and executed strategic The UPS Store soft and grand opening on time and within budget to realize 200% better-than-expected revenues
Our diverse profile of full-time employees covering administration, event planning, operations, housekeeping, maintenance, finance, marketing, and IT have been encouraged to attend and benefitted from at least one, or more, of the following:
- Association of Collegiate Conference and Events Directors-International (ACCED-I) Conferences
- Association of College Unions International (ACUI) Conferences
- Staff Retreat (featuring Personality Color Code seminar and a Negotiations workshop)
- Disney Institute’s Disney’s Approach to Quality Service training
- How to Communicate with Tact, Professionalism, and Diplomacy course
- Customer Service Training
- UCI Human Resources classroom and online professional development workshops and events
- Collegiate Information and Visitor Services Association (CiVSA) Conference
- Meeting Professionals International (MPI) events
Student Center & Event Services at UC Irvine is committed to integrating sustainability into its daily operations, programs and services.
The Student Center Building Expansion
Co-Mingled Recycling Program
This Spring, Student Center & Event Services will partner with Facilities Management to expand its Co-Mingled recycling program to all tenant offices, and a few public areas within the UCI Student Center. The service will provide collection stations to enable students and staff to recycle paper, glass, CRV containers, plastic, scrap metal, and styrofoam & other packaging materials.
Energy Efficiency Projects
In June 2010, five roof top Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) units were replaced on the Cross Cultural Center with a new, energy-efficient model. In addition, the roof membrane was replaced with an ENERGY START product. Together, these two projects save approximately 1,000 kWh of electricity and 10 therms of natural gas annually.
In June 2010, the Student Center turned off hot water to restroom areas, eliminating the need to heat water for 83 sinks. Annually, this initiative is expected to reduce campus greenhouse gas emissions by 123 metric tons of CO2e (equivalent to removing 21 passenger vehicles from the road) and utility costs by $18,700.
Student Center Receives 2015 Best Practice Award for Energy Efficiency and Sustainability
Student Center & Event Services is honored by the California Higher Education Sustainability Conference with the 11th annual Best Practice Award for lighting design. Starting October 2014, the Center underwent a facility-wide lighting upgrade that increased lighting throughout the building while decreasing energy loads and greenhouse gases.
The Best Practice Awards highlight successful and cost-effective projects on UC, CSU and CCC campuses that implement green building technologies, sustainable design strategies, and energy-efficient operations.
Starting November 2010, Student Center & Event Services is replacing standard cleaners that contain hazardous chemicals with electrolyzed water as part of a pilot project. The production of electrolyzed water involves a process to convert the elements of salt (sodium and chloride) into the ingredients in alkaline and acidic electrolyzed water through the process of electrolysis. The electrolyzed water process will produce an acidic solution containing hypochlorous acid and an alkaline solution containing sodium hydroxide. As a sanitizing/disinfecting solution, hypochlorous acid is 10 times more effective than bleach in reducing the levels of bacteria and viruses commonly found on surfaces. As a cleaning agent, sodium hydroxide is a principle ingredient used in many soaps and cleaners and is highly effective in removing dirt, oils and greases. This technology goes a long way toward creating a green environment.
In October 2010, Student Center & Event Services discontinued the use of traditional pesticides within the Student Center and Cross Cultural Center buildings. EcoSmart aerosols (an all-natural product made with essential oils from plants and trees, water and carbon dioxide), natural diatomaceous earth (an all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plants), and physical barricade techniques replaced the use of traditional pest control products.
In fiscal year 2009-10, Student Center & Event Services reduced the use of non-green cleaning chemicals by 29%, while decreasing the annual expense of these products by 18%.
Recycling bins are placed in strategic locations around the Student Center to encourage bottle, glass, newspapers, and paper recycling. These bins are emptied by Facilities Management and counted towards the campus’ waste diversion rate.
Biodegradable containers are used for most to-go items and biodegradable plates are used in most retail dining locations within the Student Center. A comprehensive local and organic food program has been introduced in the two Aramark managed locations within the Student Center: the East Food Court and the Zot-n-Go convenience store.